Monday, March 21, 2016

Know the basics my young Patawon learner

March 21, 2016
Feliz Cumple Maura Karina Sequencia
Well I am almost sure that the entire family (especially my mom and dad) are super excited as of this day… it’s the count down to 3 more months.  Every month passes by faster and faster and I can’t believe it.  It hasn’t even hit me yet.
So this week was a lot more successful than the last as we have managed to find 17 new people to teach.  We have been contacting, searching in the registries and trying our hardest, and praying to find people that will show more signs of progress.  Well, we managed to get what we asked for.  But it wasn’t easy, that’s for sure.  I’ll tell you why:

Elder Micheal Butler, you son of a gun, you got me sick with the flu! ja ja.  As I read the last letter from our dear Elder Butler #1, I felt bad for him for having to be sick on the mission, and what happens?  The biggest heat wave passes over here and weakens my immune system and the contagious flu that Michael probably had transferred through the computer! Ay no!!!  But it’s ok, because when you are the medical advisor for the mission and you get sick, you basically don’t take your own advice and you hoof it through the heat and just work.  Yeah mom, I’m stubborn!

So as Wednesday night came, we did a training segment to help the members share their testimonies and teach the doctrine of the church.  It was great because our 4 missionaries (Including me) got to present a part of the training.  My part was last and I explained the whys of missionary work.  As I drew a scary looking man with nose rings, tattoos, a cigarette bud and Mohawk to add to his complexion, I asked the question of "Would you guys want to be friends with this type of person?"  The little kids looked terrified to even think of that, but after hearing the honest reply from the members, I told them that the Atonement of Christ gives us the option to change.  I slowly began to erase the cigar and put a smile, take away the mohawk and put a nice comb over, and changed the complexion of the drawn biker gang-man and made him look like a normal church-day goer.  I helped them understand that the most important part of knowing the gospel of Jesus Christ is sharing it. WE SHARE SO THAT PEOPLE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHANGE.
 "Nevertheless, ye shall not cast him out of your synagogues, or your places of worship, for unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall heal them; and ye shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them." 3 Nephi 18:32

I love how it says that we shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them.  It’s the greatest and most marvelous work there is today, being a missionary is what makes us truly see what the world is, and we also come to know of the fullness and infinite power of Christ’s Atonement.  It was a very spiritual training and the majority of the members seemed to be more convinced in working on sharing the gospel.
With all the hardships and trials and the frustrations, I still get the opportunity to see how Christ truly gives us many chances to change ourselves, to be someone so much greater.  I hope that all can read and understand more of the Atonement of Christ.  Look in the Book of Mormon and also the Bible and read about how he suffered at Gethsemane and how he was raised from the dead the third day.  I can’t wait to celebrate Easter here and spread the good tidings of great joy that is the truth:  For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:22
I know that my Redeemer lives and give my testimony that His love is real, there are second chances, and there is hope for the lost, the weary, and gone.  I affirm that He gives us life for He is such, "the light and life of the world" (John 8:12).  I love Him, and I give my humble witness in His name, Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Burke


Making empanadas

No comments:

Post a Comment