Sunday, June 7, 2015

Vayamos a la playa! (Let's go to the beach)

June 1, 2015  (week 40 in Argentina)
Hey there guys, so today was a really different P day for me.  We went to the beach and threw an American football around and played venticinco (25) with a futbol.  It was the first time I got to feel sand in between my toes and it felt great!  The last time I got to have that wonderful feeling was before I left for my mission.  I was staring at the water wanting to swim, but that can wait for a little more!  But honestly it was so much fun to go to the beach and play sports with our whole zone and then enjoy the day.  I still have some sand in my ears but it was totally worth it.  Afterwards we went and got hotdogs from this fake looking diner place and while we were eating our food some bees, as in like 50 started swarming around us trying to get a sip of our coke, surprisingly none of us ran, we just sat there without a problem, but I watched 5 bees drown in my coke.  That’s what you get for beeing in my buzzness! Yes that was a pun! ja ja!  The beach made me think a lot about how the small things we take for granted that we have easy access too.  I guess being a missionary just makes you more appreciative of everything you had before:  cars, naps, movie nights, cheesecake, you know those things, but when you give up all those normal things and put your best into helping people, the reward is so much better.  But cheesecake does get pretty close too! ja ja
So this week was pretty awesome as we have been progressing with our investigator Magdalena Fernandez!  She is the coolest old lady that you can ever meet.  She loves everything the church offers and keeps telling us that it all makes sense, the problem is remembering all the things she learns, she has a hard time with memory, but not to the extremes like in 50 first dates.  We invited her to be baptized and she was like “Well why wouldn’t I be baptized?”  Yeah, she’s the bomb.  We pass by her house a lot because she lives on the way to the rest of our area and she normally says hi to us or gives us sweet bread.  Oh my gosh I love the bread here.  There is Pasta Froli, torta frita, facturas and even alfajores.  I’ll be bringing back a truck load of those with me when I get back.  But anyways expect photos of baptisms from the 13th of June!  She loves all the things about the church and the members feel well with her and so do we! ja ja.
We also had a new person come to the church named Rosa Flores; yes her name is rose flowers! We were teaching in her house and her Daughter is very nice, but kept on saying that Mormons only believe in Joseph Smith and only the Book of Mormon but we explained all of that to her.  We told her how the Book of Mormon testifies of Christ and goes with the Bible to testify that He exists and brings hope to people.  We also talked about how in the Bible talked about the Book of Mormon in Ezekiel 37:15 to 20

15 ¶The word of the Lord came again unto me, saying,
16 Moreover, thou son of man, take thee one stick, and write upon it, For Judah, and for the children of Israel his companions: then take another stick, and write upon it, For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel his companions:
17 And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thine hand.
18 ¶And when the children of thy people shall speak unto thee, saying, Wilt thou not shew us what thou meanest by these?
19 Say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel his fellows, and will put them with him, even with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they shall be one in mine hand.
20 ¶And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes.
and how in the Book of Mormon talked about the Bible in 1 Nephi 13: 20 to 25.
20 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld that they did prosper in the land; and I beheld a book, and it was carried forth among them.
21 And the angel said unto me: Knowest thou the meaning of the book?
22 And I said unto him: I know not.
23 And he said: Behold it proceedeth out of the mouth of a Jew. And I, Nephi, beheld it; and he said unto me: The book that thou beholdest is a record of the Jews, which contains the covenants of the Lord, which he hath made unto the house of Israel; and it also containeth many of the prophecies of the holy prophets; and it is a record like unto the engravings which are upon the plates of brass, save there are not so many; nevertheless, they contain the covenants of the Lord, which he hath made unto the house of Israel; wherefore, they are of great worth unto the Gentiles.
24 And the angel of the Lord said unto me: Thou hast beheld that the book proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew; and when it proceeded forth from the mouth of a Jew it contained the fulness of the gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear record according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.
25 Wherefore, these things go forth from the Jews in purity unto the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.
Still sadly she was not convinced that the Book of Mormon testifies of God. But her mother was and she was defending us and the church because she knew that what she was feeling was the spirit.  It was pretty crazy to sit there and listen to them fight but we both were cheering in our heads when Rosa was saying that she is going to church and it’s because she’s felt the spirit when we have taught her.  It was nuts!  She came and enjoyed church and had a ton of questions for us during class and it was great.
Also remember our converts Juan and Pedro?  Well they are doing so well and Hermano Pedro tells me how happy he is to be in the church of Jesus Christ and that Elder Nava and I found him and baptized him!  He’s so happy and awesome!  Hermano Juan is blessing the sacrament now and we are preparing Hermano Pedro to say a prayer in front of everyone!  They are doing so well it’s just awesome!
I hope that all is well back at home and also a shout out to Collin, my cousin, who is getting ready to go on a mission to Chile! Inevitably we will become rivals since Argentines don’t like Chilenos and vice versa with Chilenos to Argentines!  Se que puedes hacerlo primo loco mio! Suerte y preparate bien en las escrituras y en el idioma de castillano! Vos sos Elder en algunas meses!!!  (You can do it crazy cousin of mine! Luck and prepare yourself well in the Scriptures and in the Spanish language! You're an Elder in some months)  Ja ja!  Love all you guys and hope you all enjoy reading my experiences as much as I love sharing them with you!
Con amor,
Elder Burke


No comments:

Post a Comment